Roleplay Paradisu
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Aominecchi
Aominecchi
Administrator
http://aominecchii.tumblr.com

A beginner's guide to Forum RPs Empty A beginner's guide to Forum RPs

Mon 04 Sep 2017, 9:11 pm

I. PROLOGUE

Roleplay has always been popular, especially with the rise of social media platforms such as Tumblr and Facebook. However, not everyone is accustomed to Forum Roleplay; it is actually the most 'ancient' forms of RP on the internet and our older friends may remember it as 'Play-by-post'. In fact, Forum RP is possibly one of the least-understood and least-utilized role-playing methods available. This kind of RP is vastly different to that of roleplay games or platforms but the mechanics remain the same. Hence, I have written this guide to help out all those people that are checking out our forum right now and feel utterly lost if not confused.

I will explain in depth and guide you through the steps, so I highly advise you read this before joining a RP. You are not expected to read the whole post as it is considerably long and detailed, but I have tried my best to make this experience as painless as I can. Please, do take a while to read at least the process.

Lastly, feel free to post criticism. Even if I disagree, I will try to come up with valid arguments.

II. BASICS

What is Forum Roleplay?:

The Mechanics:

III. CONCERNING OUR FORUM

Hopefully, you somewhat grasped the basics of Forum RP. Roleplay Paradisu offers various themes, ranging from Medieval to Sci-Fi. If you have been curious and clicked here and there, you may have noticed that many roleplays exist under one theme (for example: Medieval), having different settings, characters and maybe even rules. You may still be confused but I swear it is easier than it seems!

Our roleplay section is divided into three categories: 18+, For Everyone, Private. I will explain each bellow.

18+:

For Everyone:

Private:

IV. APPLY YOUR KNOWLEDGE

A confused user wrote:Well uhhh, it's all cool and neat but how do I join a RP?!

Good question! Let's say you want to join the 18+ roleplays. Once you click the link, the first thread is "Character Sheets". You click on that and decide on what kind of theme you want to join (Linear, Medieval, School Life and so on...). So, you decided on "Medieval". That's right, you click that link again and you will find yourself in front of countless (or maybe none) RPs that are waiting for you to join. These RPs are totally unrelated to each other, featuring different stories, settings and characters. You find one that suits you and click again. In that case, you found that you like "Forget Me Not" and read the post. You will first meet the setting, then the character sheet you need to use and below those, the characters that have already been made by other users. You are a real champ so far so you decide to make your own as well. Characters are automatically approved but if the original poster finds your character/s questionable, he or she may nudge you to make a few changes. Anyway, you are all done with your character/s so you now want to RP at last!

Which brings us back to the first step. Go to 18+ again, ignore the "Character Sheets" and simply jump onto the "Medieval" thread. Find your RP "Forget Me Not", read the previous posts (if there are any) and then join the fun! That's it, you did it, you poor and confused user. Congratulations and we hope you will join other RPs as well if you wish.

Oh, that's right. There is no limit to how many RPs you may join, nor how many characters you may roleplay as in a single RP. Just be yourself and rule them all! And, the same example applies to the other category as well (For Everyone), excluding Private RPs where you may post the setting and characters on the first post (since Char Sheets do not exist).

Another confused user wrote:But I am a bit slow and did not get what you explained above...

Well, Homepage > Roleplays > 18+ > Character Sheets > Medieval > Forget Me Not > [read & post]
Then, Homepage> Roleplays> 18+ > Medieval > Forget Me Not > [read & post]

Or... Homepage > Roleplays > [18+, Roleplays, Private] > Character Sheets > [Choose Theme] > [Choose RP] > [read & post]
and then, Homepage > Roleplays > [18+, Roleplays, Private] > [Choose Above Theme] > [Choose Above RP] > [read & post]

An even more confused user wrote:I STILL DON'T GET IT!!!
I am afraid you are beyond our help. Rolling Eyes

V. FURTHER READING

Play-by-Post
Forum Based Roleplaying: Good or Bad?
Another Forum's RP Guide
And Another one's
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum